Any Animist might describe their experience in a unique way, yet there are striking similarities between our experiences.
Animism, from Latin anima, “breath, spirit, life”, and generally means that there is a Spirit (life force) in all “things” and that we are all equal strands in the sacred web of life. Although many people currently feel that non-human beings (animals, plants, and inanimate objects or phenomena) are “things” without a consciousness of their own, Animists understand that all possess a spiritual essence in some way, and we Humans are made up of the same elements as all else in Nature, and we are naturally in communication with all, whether we know it or not.
Specifically, animism is used in the anthropology of religion as a term for the belief system or cosmology of Humans around the planet Earth, especially prior to the development and/or infiltration of colonialism and monotheistic religions. Although each culture has its own different mythologies and rituals, “animism” is said to describe the most common, foundational thread of Human peoples’ “spiritual” or “supernatural” perspectives. The animistic perspective is so fundamental, mundane, everyday and taken-for-granted that most animistic indigenous people do not even have a word in their languages that corresponds to “animism” (or even “religion”); the term is an anthropological construct rather than one designated by the people themselves, however, we need a word to describe us now in these times. Animism is our word for this remembering.
The Stories of the Earth Tribes
ALL people are naturally connected to the balance of all time, the physical and non-physical worlds, and consciousness of all.
When one looks at the stories of human cultures all over this beautiful Earth, one sees many similarities between them. For many thousands of years, on any continent and in all bioregions, there have always been dynamic differences in land, language and the way people look, but our ancestors did very similar things. People wisely used fire. People decorated themselves. People told stories of how they came to be. These People lived with all else for many thousands of years before any Human based religion was born.
While groups of people tend to see the differences between themselves and others “We are not like them over there!”, the similarities in the Human “Animist” cultures that sustained life for thousands of generations far outweigh any differences.
There are still living Animist cultures around the planet RIGHT NOW. Indigenous People and the land, air and water are under attack. All are connected. We are the Earth.
Animist cultures, in much diversity, includes:
~An understanding that there are unseen elements/helpers/spirits that can speak to, help or hurt a person or group and that humans can communicate with, and hopefully gain the favor of, these elements.
~Powerful teachings can and do come through dreams and visions.
~If a person or group displeases or goes against the spirits in Nature, consequences occur.
~Female Deities and Ancestresses are as present and important as Male Deities and Ancestors, often times more so. Also there are Deities or energies in between the Gender Binary in the world, and this is natural.
~In recent times there have been many changes in human culture. More people have moved into cities, thereby separating themselves from the systems of Nature. Humans have begun to use more and more brain altering chemicals. Human Gods and Goddesses emerged alongside the Nature spirits, and then, in many lands, they were forcibly replaced by one stern male God. This is the pattern of human “history”, (his-story) but the oldest truths have not gone away. Nor have they been forgotten. We are now creating “Ourstory”. Our Story.
Nature whispers to us so we may remember.
Today, many people who are descendants of these forgotten ways and tribes are being called upon, in their dreams and through their intuition, to remember who they are and from whom they come. What they are finding is that while Human stories are unique, everyone’s common ancestor is EARTH.
Many modern people use technology (from light bulbs to holograms) and go to the grocery store for food, but it doesn’t mean that Humans have become separate from Nature’s Truths. Everyone comes from beautiful Animist paths of this sacred Earth and those who have forgotten can re-align themselves with ancient wisdom. When this alignment occurs, a person feels at peace and balanced, even in this unbalanced version of reality.
Whoever listens within, and to the land, will hear all the teachings they need to feel fulfilled personally, and to re-establish the Earth Tribes in their new forms to heal human hearts, and bring balance back to the lands of this modern Earth. This creative re-emergence is “Ourstory”.
Listening to the wind holds value.
The trees want to share their knowledge.
We feel the energy of all other beings.
We are not crazy when we hear voices.
We are bringing the strengths of the past into the present.
The future is in our hands.
This site is dedicated to this learning and sharing.
Honor to you and your quest. Power to the Peaceful
Shamanic Animism in Thirteen Sentences
Brought to you by Earth Web Media
- Everything, including multiple realities/states of consciousness, is connected with an immortal essence.
- Everyone can connect with the Web of Life without an intermediary.
- Humans have always journeyed among realities/states of consciousness (which is often called the spirit world) for guidance in every aspect of human existence.
- Sacred tools and techniques, particularly consistent rhythm (drum, rattle chanting etc), facilitate a state of mind where communication and knowledge gathering from the spirit world is more accessible.
- Connection through the senses to non-ordinary reality can take place in a waking and a dreaming state.
- All manner of spirit beings exist in the spirit world and on earth outside the range of our five senses.
- Each Human is important, and Humans are one tribe of sentient Beings. All non-Human Beings (animals, plants, elements and more) are also People of equal value and standing in the web of life.
- Ritual and ceremony, especially in gatherings, are sacred acts that acknowledge and strengthen our connection with the spirit and physical worlds.
- In each human’s spiritual life there are important life passages, sacred timekeepers, to be honored with ceremony in community.
- We honor our Human Body as the sacred companion for our Soul while incarnated on Earth. Our DNA connects us with All That Is. Our Bodies and Souls rely on Plants as Food and Medicine, Air and Water for sustenance.
- The Sun and Moon cycles structure our sacred Earth home and all of Nature is our house of worship.
- These beliefs and practices can help Earth honoring People restore our Body and Soul from past Soul wounds, experienced or inherited.
- Our sacred circles express gratitude, service and reciprocity, arising from our unity with the spirit and physical world, balancing the sacred web of life.
Edited by www.alisontorba.com Intellectual Property of Earth Web Media 2012. Credit when you Use It….Link! Thank you.
To explore your inner world, tend your soul wounds and enhance your intuitive abilities, explore our Online Learning options HERE.
Wind and Water
Stone and Stream
Ancestors calling to us
from the Dream.
“Remember” they whisper,
to the cells of our souls
“Remember the secrets of
Creatrix and Crone.”
So we call to you butterfly,
snake, coyote and bat.
Honey bee, fish, beaver, bison and bobcat.
Help us old wise ones of wing, fur and fin.
We know you can help us remember our Kin
Those who knew how you speak
and who heard their own voices within.
So we ask in prayerful voices because our people have strayed,
we ask that you forgive us,
and help us remember
Poem by Quynn